Marianna Sigala, Professor
University of Piraeus
Marianna Sigala is Professor of Tourism. She had been an academic staff at the Universities of Strathclyde and Westminster in the UK, University of South Australia (Australia) and the University of the Aegean (Greece). Her academic credentials are combined with her professional experience in the tourism industry. Her interests include services and experience management, Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) in tourism and hospitality, as well as wine tourism. She is a widely published and multi-awarded authority: nine books, numerous papers in academic journals, and (keynote) presentations in international conferences. She has a long record of leadership and participation in international research projects funded by various entities such as the E.U. and the Council of Europe. She is a past President of EuroCHRIE and a past member of the executive board of ICHRIE and IFITT. She currently serves at the executive board of CAUTHE. She is the co-editor of the Journal of Service Theory & Practice, and the Editor-In-Chief of the Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Management. In 2016, she has been awarded the prestigious EuroCHRIE Presidents’ Award for her lifetime contributions and achievements to tourism and hospitality education. Since 2020, Professor Sigala is also appointed as Research Fellow of CAUTHE.
- Tham, A. & SIGALA, M. (2020). Road Block (chain): Bit(coin)s for Tourism Sustainable Development Goals? Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology. 11(2), pp. 203-222.
- Kalargyrou, , Trivellas, P.& SIGALA, M. (2020). Guests’ stereotyping and quality evaluations of service delivered by employees with disabilities: does service failure matter?, Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 25(7), pp. 735-752, DOI: 10.1080/10941665.2020.1769697
- SIGALA, M. (2020). Tourism and COVID-19: impacts and implications for advancing and resetting industry and research. Journal of Business Research, 117, pp. 312-321.
- SIGALA, M. & Steriopoulos, E. (2020).Does Emotional Engagement Matter in Dark Tourism? Implications Drawn from a Reflective Approach. Journal of Heritage Tourism.
- Albayrak, T., Baber, M. & SIGALA, M. (2021). A Quality Measurement Proposal for Corporate Social Network Sites: The Case of Hotel Facebook Page. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-16.https://doi.org/10.1080/13683500.2020.1854199
- Mouda, Y., Du., T., Hansen, P., Ashman, H., Huang, S. & SIGALA, M. (2021). Understanding roles in collaborative information behaviour: a case of Chinese group travelling. Information Processing and Management.